Friday, January 21, 2011

Raise Your Hand: So 2011

I have no qualms asking questions, so it probably doesn't surprise you that I am also an avid fan of Wikipedia, the dictionary, and the classic "Google search."

Unlike most, one of my favorite arenas for asking questions is in the restaurant. Since it's not so typical to preface an order with "I have a question..." some might say I've got quite a lot of moxie to "raise my hand."

However, I find that I learn some of the most interesting things from the simple act of asking anyone, my teacher, my SAT tutor, my mentors. The other day, I got my notion confirmed by a pastry chef that Boston Cream Pie is indeed not a pie, per se, but a sponge cake. Who knew!

Subsequently, a majority of my adult friends would probably be surprised to know that as a child, I was not the kid who easily raised my hand in class . Looking back, I believe I was afraid to ask a question because I was embarrassed and thought everyone else would think I was stupid. I have the sense (probably due to the uncomfortable looks I get when I inquire about the method to make, say, bacon foam)- that I am/was not alone in this assumption.

Recently, I read Aristotle’s quote “the more you know, the more you know you don’t know” – and it made me wonder: all those years I kept my hand at my side for fear of being called “dumb” – maybe, just maybe - I was wrong?

Being an adult, I took my quandary to the streets and asked a few of my teacher friends for their perspective on the classroom dynamic as it pertains to hand-raising.

A pal who is a 7th grade math teacher says that he has never had a “dumb” question come from a student raising their hand in class. In fact, “the types of problems that students ask the most questions about out loud are usually the ones every student in that class ends up acing on the exam.”

Coincidence? Hardly.

Taking the matter to an 11th grade English teacher, I was informed that her daily lesson plan includes a 5 minute “question and answer” block right before the end of class. Initially, she had her students vote on how they wanted to use the time: to do homework, to study for other classes, or to “clarify” what they had gone over that day via peer-generated questions.

Impressively, each of her six periods voted to use the time to ask her questions as a group – instead of through personal email or individually, after class. She claims that group "Q & A" allows everyone to benefit from her answers – and not-so-surprisingly, the classes that ask the most questions per day tend to have the highest class average on exams and essays in comparison to the classes that use the time for study or other homework.

It would appear that Aristotle was on to something. So, if you pledge to do anything this semester, promise to seek an answer when you are curious, and if you are feeling bold – ask a question out loud for the rest of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment