Wednesday, May 19, 2010

3 Tips to Collegiate Success

I did it! I made it through the all nighters, countless pages of reading, wordy essays, SAT tutoring sessions, and finally graduated from college! In case my word wasn’t enough, I have provided visual confirmation in order to solidify my credibility. Yes, that is me, beaming with joy and basking in my 30 seconds of graduation fame on the big screen.
As a recent college graduate, I feel it is my duty to pass on some personal words of wisdom. The following are my 3 tips to collegiate success:

Go to Class

Upon entering college, I had the preconceived notions that class was optional, that no one truly checked up on you, and that if you did the reading on your own and showed up for the tests, you would have no problem succeeding. Thankfully, I had many wise people at my university advise me that this was not the case. Whether it’s a class of 400 or a class of 20, showing up matters. At LMU every class caps enrollment at 28 students...meaning attendance sign-in sheets and a lot of room for participation...sort of like high school. I soon realized that by coming to class on time, paying attention, and actively participating, I was setting myself up to succeed in college.

Sit in the Front

With the highly anticipated end of grade school seating charts, it may seem like the last place anyone would choose to sit is in the front of the classroom. However, little do most college students know, the front rows are prime classroom real estate. Not only does being close to the professor help you focus and concentrate, it also helps the professor connect with you. One of my professors told me that students tend to blur together beyond the second row, creating forgettable, faceless individuals, and being forgettable in college is no way to excel. So, stand out from the crowd, sit up front, and enjoy the high achievement that follows!!!

Introduce yourself to the Professor

The relationships you form with your professors in college are some of the most important and beneficial tools you can use to succeed. On the first day of every class, I walked up to introduce myself, extended my hand, and stated my name along with a well thought out question or comment that would make me a little more memorable than my peers. This showed my professors that I was excited about their class and the semester to come. What teacher doesn’t want to hear that from a student? Beyond the early introduction, I maintained these relationships by visiting professors during their allotted office hours to go over assignments, upcoming tests, class materials, or simply just to check in. Forming a solid relationship with a college professor is the gift that keeps on giving. For example, you will not only encounter a number of professors multiple times throughout your time in school, but you will also most likely be reaching out to these professors as you continue to develop professionally.

At our recent Speaker Series, Tim Urban reinforced these methods for success.



It is easy to see how these tips are applicable at nearly every level of the educational process. Therefore, I encourage all students to heed this advice and use it to take full advantage of their time in school because these truly are some of the best years of your life!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment