Friday, May 13, 2011

Hola! Ciao! Ni-hao! Dual-Language Immersion Programs in LA

Learning a foreign language does not come easily for most. I know that my four years of Spanish classes did little to set me up for fluency. I will, however, take most of the blame. I was too shy to speak up in class for fear my amateur Spanish accent would butcher any attempt at the correct pronunciations. This, along with my skepticism of ever being fluent, lead to the decision to stop taking foreign language classes as soon as my high school requirements were met. Needless to say, I will not be having any type of meaningful conversation in Spanish any time soon.

However, when I came across an article in the LA Times this week on the rise of dual-language immersion programs, I was immediately intrigued – and a tad jealous I wasn’t a part of such a program. The dual-language programs are yielding positive results in Glendale Unified Schools, like many their SAT tutoring programs. Unlike bilingual education, Dual-language immersion programs offer the opportunity of learning a second language to immigrant students as well as native-born American students. The article highlighted a number of advantages these students will receive as a result of these programs.

Benefits of a Dual Language Programs
--Studies of English-Language Learners suggest that learning to read in a child’s first language boosts reading achievement in the second language
--Early bilingualism has been found to aid memory, problem-solving, decision-making and other brain functions
--Children in dual-language immersion programs usually lag in English skills at first, then tend to surpass their counterparts in English-only classes by fifth and sixth grade

For a list of Dual-Language programs in Los Angeles County, visit the links below.

Glendale Unified School District
Pasadena Unified School District
The California Department of Education
For the full Los Angeles Times article click here.

1 comments:

Iphigeneia Mariou said...

How do you feel about submersion in L2 with ADHD children?

Post a Comment